Monday, July 25, 2011

From Dust to Dreams

When I began searching for a new job back in January, I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't "settle": I wouldn't take a job simply because it provided a paycheck. That's not to say I was putting myself above certain tasks. I already had 3 part-time jobs.

I viewed this as an opportunity to transition into a legal career, into something where I could apply the knowledge I had thus far. But I could be selective about what I wanted to take on.

I remember one morning running with my dad in the park. I told him my dream job would be in a position where I could see the litigation process first-hand. Law students get a crash course in the litigation process in Civil Procedure and Moot Court. But there's something about seeing real-world applications of the process that causes you to learn more and soak it in.

To make a long story short, I'm now a litigation paralegal. I work for a well-respected litigation attorney who focuses on personal injury and auto accidents. We're not ambulance chasers. We are very selective about clients we take on. The attorney I work for has excellent ethics and is a wonderful example to learn from.

In short, I got the job I wanted 6 months ago. How this job materialized is a miracle in and of itself. I had dark days during those 6 months of looking and waiting. My parents, family, and close friends can attest to the personal difficulties I faced. The idea of finding a decent job almost became this illusive goal that I would never achieve. In 2 days I went from having no prospects to landing my dream full-time job!

Is the job market difficult?Yes. An emphatic yes. But the most important thing I learned is that God is bigger than the job market and can make a dream opportunity materialize out of nothing. And for that, I boast in Him.

No comments: