Monday, February 17, 2014

Pro Bono

Ever wanted free legal advice? With no strings attached? I promise there’s no fine print.

I’m starting a new blog series called “Pro Bono”. It’s an utterly original name, I know.

Why give something away for free? Because I wouldn’t make any money charging you to sit down with me and offer it anyway.

I want you to be well-informed. I don’t want you calling a lawyer when you’re on the bad end of a misinformed decision you previously made. And that’s not a slight against you. We all make misinformed decisions.  I own penny stock that’s currently valued at a hundredth of what I originally paid for.

A lot of legal problems come from cutting corners, trying to save money. Whether it’s buying “cheaper” car insurance or buying legal form letters/contracts online, you’re saving money because corners are being cut somewhere. And I’m sick of consoling people who had wool pulled over their eyes (or pulled it over on themselves) only to have the cut corners exposed at the worst possible moment.

This is a forum environment. Feel free to comment. Don’t agree with me? Good. Make your case and persuade me otherwise. I only have one rule: be respectful. Trolls aren’t allowed. Be prepared to back your position with well-reasoned (posting links to cement your position is NOT well-reasoned) points.

I’m offering advice based on real-world experiences. There are times when hypothetical questions are appropriate. But I will tend to avoid that. You need practical advice, not an exhausting list of all possible circumstances.

Lastly, I need to cover my own tail. Take (and apply) my advice. But merely heeding it doesn’t form an attorney-client relationship. I’m not your lawyer until you sign a retainer agreement (and usually you show me cash or a check to motivate me). I’m not your lawyer simply because you read my blog. But you’re smart enough to know that.


Enough chit-chat. Let’s get down to it…

No comments: