Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Cranes

"$40-50 an hour, not a bad gig if you can get trained". 

While I can't confirm crane operator wages, my client seemed to know it rather quickly as we watched the crane working while we were fifteen stories up. 

Mediation sounds like a fancy legal meeting, but it's literally hours of waiting for something to happen. You find random subjects to discuss with clients because silence is more awkward. So here we are discussing cranes. 

My phone, Spotify and headphones. Could I bring those on the crane? If so, it sounded like a good career path to escape the gauntlet of client expectations, deadlines and the rat race of settling or litigation the next case. 

We hit some snags in mediation. I'm tied up for the next hour with phone calls, crunching numbers and discussing legal options. The finer details distract me for the time being. The case settles.

I return to the office, where two hours of being gone has resulted in six more hours of work piling up. 
Does that happen to crane operators? Asking for a friend.






No comments: