Sunday, February 20, 2011

Talking Down

Besides filing frivolous lawsuits, attorneys are also notorious for their arrogance; they consistently talk down to people because "they went to law school".

I've seen it firsthand through guest speakers at my school. The arrogance, the know-it-all persona, the cocky way they hold themselves. It's ugly, unattractive, and quite honestly, very stupid.

My father recently invited me to a business breakfast where business men and women gathered to refer business to one another. Towards the end of the meeting, an accountant stood up and began talking about my father in front of the 20 people that were present.

She praised my father for his cordial attitude and kindness that he consistently carries everywhere he goes. She told horror stories of attorneys that she deals with on a daily basis and how negatively they treat her.

She then stated that she looks forward to speaking with my father because she knows it will be a pleasant conversation.

I have the privilege of knowing my dad first hand, so I've always had a close-up view of his calm demeanor. But it was fascinating to see someone notice the difference in how my father chooses to conduct his business and contrast it with the "norm" of the legal world.

My hope is that I can carry on his tradition of treating clients and colleagues with the proper respect.

No comments: