Thursday, March 24, 2011

Giving Wisely

Allow me a brief departure from the normal "legal" posts. I travel on Old Hickory Blvd to I-65 everyday. Without fail there are homeless people asking for money on the median of the bridge that goes over I-65. These derelicts are appreciative and convey a seemingly heartfelt thanks for the generosity of those who choose to give.

A week ago, two homeless men who I've seen asking for money came into our restaurant. They sat outside on the patio and ordered appetizers. They then each ordered a margarita. Then another margarita. Then another. Another, and perhaps 1 more. These wondering wayfarers were fully blitzed.

They paid their bill, left a good tip for the server (not me), and were on their way. I wrote it off in my mind. I try not to pass judgment too swiftly. Perhaps they were tired/exhausted after a day of begging (insert sarcasm font).

The next day, the drunken duo returned. Again they ordered appetizers and several margaritas. At this point my compassion dwindled and frustration set in. Frustration at these two men, and frustration at those who naively gave to them, hoping they would use the funds to "make a better life for themselves".

A few nights later, the pair returned. It was the usual progression away from sobriety, but they created such a scene that other customers began to complain. The manager informed the server to cut the two men "off". They paid their bill and left.

After the restaurant had closed, the men returned with double digit quantity of beers and broke the bottles on the patio, leaving a mess for the employees to clean in the morning.

The restaurant owner was furious after hearing what happened. He instructed the manager to call the police if the men were found on the property again. The next day one of the men returned. A server, not me, went outside and kindly informed the man that he was no longer welcome. And should he return, police would be called.

The homeless man apologized for the previous night's actions and left the restaurant without causing a scene.

Two days later, the same man returned. Again the same server told him he was no longer welcome. The homeless man began a verbally explicit tirade and kicking/hitting chairs on the patio. The manager confronted him outside, when the homeless man began a verbal assault complete lacking any sense of human decency. After a few minutes of a nonsensical combination of expletives, the homeless man stormed off back to the bridge over I-65.

I chose to convey this story because we need to be wise when we give. I'm not saying don't give to homeless people. I'm just advising against blind giving.

No comments: