Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Questions Frequently Asked

As any of my law school 'mates can attest to, we get asked a lot about what kind of law we want to enter into when we graduate. I've been asked so many times, that each time it comes up, I spout out my canned response that I've crafted over the past 2 1/2 years. Here are a few of the most popular questions I've been asked and my honest answer:

1. What kind of law do you want to practice?
That's a tough question. There are areas I'm interested in, but that's purely based on what I've learned so far. And even so, a lot of times the day-to-day practice of an area may be completely different than what I envisioned it to be when I studied it in law school. But to answer the question, I'd love to practice Entertainment Law, specifically negotiating key contracts on behalf of emerging artists and songwriters.

2. Are you going to work for/with your dad?
My dad and I have thoroughly discussed working together. Yes, I plan to work for/with him to help grow his practice even more.

3. Jesse, why do you hate criminal law so much? All you do is poo-poo it all the time.
Blame is shared on this one. Half goes to my professor, half goes to the fact that I'd rather eat a gun than practice criminal law. It's just not for me.

4. I got injured a while back, do I have a case?
Call Bart Durham. Wait...No, call my dad

5. What's law school like?
It's like a prison full of people who appear smart. Until they open their mouths. There are smart people there, but usually they don't promote themselves like the stupid ones do.

6. When do you graduate?
December 2012, unless the Mayans were right and it's like the horribly made movie (2012) where you can fly a Bentley onto an iceberg from a cargo plane.

No comments: