Thursday, April 18, 2013

Day 2: Rock Bottom (Part 2)

The second day of the bar exam is 200 mutiple choice questions (called "Multistate"), broken into 100 in the morning and 100 in the afternoon. I felt good about the morning session. I was consistently eliminating wrong answers quickly, arriving at what I felt was the correct answer.

I spent lunch time with some close law school friends. We tried to keep the conversation light, and avoided discussing bar-related matters.

I refueled with Red Bull, ready to tackle the final afternoon session. I was rocking along for the first hour of the afternoon when my body, drained completely from a lack of sleep, hit rock bottom.

I could barely concentrate. It now seemed that it was taking me twice as long to answer questions. Minutes seemed like hours. I still had two hours to go to finish the afternoon session. This was not good. Red lights and sirens were blaring "EMERGENCY!"

I put my head down, resisted the temptation to start freaking out, and simply pushed along. It was the longest hour of my life, but I eventually crawled out of my hour-long slump. The last hour wasn't easy by any stretch, but I had pushed through a huge mental/physical wall.

I managed to complete all 200 questions with 2-3 minutes left. I've heard horror stories from past bar takers of having 20-30 questions left unanswered when time is up.

I put my pencil down, hoping my hour-long lapse wouldn't hurt my score too much. At this point, I had done everything in my power to ensure a passing grade.

No comments: