Monday, April 8, 2013

One Month In

Fast forward three weeks since my last update. I'm now finished studying the six core subjects tested on the multiple choice portion. Yesterday I had a mock six hour test of the multiple choice part: 200 questions.

I took the test after working all day. I was already stressed from a busy work day and nervous about how I'd do. If I bombed this test if could be a crushing blow to my confidence and have a significant negative impact going forward.

 The six hours taking the test weren't the best of my life. Because I took it online, I had my results instantly. In my mind I did "ok". I still wanted a higher score. Only after speaking with an attorney who works in the law library did I find out I was doing "very well" (her gracious words, not mine) for only being a month into studying.

Doing "well" early on can be a blessing and a curse. Yes, it was encouraging to see my progress, knowing the rubber was meeting the road. But it is oh so easy let off the gas and just coast. 

At this critical four week point you're mentally worn down. The hardest part is retaining what you've already learned while continuing to add more. It's like packing for vacation thinking "How much extra can I fit into this suitcase?"

Bottom line: My studying thus far paid off. But I'm only halfway through. I'm now about to face essay studying. To make matters worse, the online instructors said it only got harder from here. Ugh.

Can I keep my foot on the gas for another three weeks or will I let up?

No comments: