Monday, April 1, 2013

First Week In

Perhaps beginning bar review (a schedule determined by my bar review study course) as soon as Christmas died down was a plan forged in much wisdom. You have a few days off work, and there's really not much to do besides online shop with all those nifty gift cards you got.

The first few days of bar review were spent in the comfort of my own home. I was already off work,  it was easy to sit down on the couch early in the morning while my wife and three year-old slept in. In retrospect, those were the easiest days of studying.

The next week was technically my first "full" week of studying. My boss had graciously allowed me to adjust my work schedule where I could come in earlier and leave earlier. This freed up my afternoons and evenings to spend studying in the library.

The first day of my full week was the worst. I was in the office an hour earlier than usual. I fired up my laptop and began the 3-4 hour online video lecture.  Hours later, the video torture was over. Then came review of the lecture. Then came a quick quiz over the lecture. Then came multiple choice review of what I learned in the lecture. Finally, there was a preview of what the next day's material would be. All of this crammed into 6-8 hours.

I was mentally spent by 8:00 p.m. of the first day. However on the second day I noticed I was beginning to feel that this was now my routine. It was a tad easier staying fully engaged in studying all day.

The third day was even easier. Same for the fourth day. By Friday, I was a robot. Boom, I'm up at 6:30 a.m. Zap, I'm at work by 7:30. Pow, I'm watching the lecture video when I sit at my desk. Poof, I'm doing review questions by 2:00. After five days of sticking to my schedule I had trained my body and hopefully my mind would follow in step.

I was still facing 5-6 more grueling weeks, but it felt good to know that I had established a schedule and stuck to it the first week.

No comments: